Monday, August 16, 2010

Un Jour A Paris Avec Ma Sœur

So far, I've had only one day in Paris. I went in to the capital to meet my sister at the airport and then we got to steal away a day and hang out together before returning to the countryside. And look what I found at the first store we went into...
Hasbeens at Claudie Pierlot - on sale, and in MY SIZE! I put them on, paid for them, and deftly put my Chucks in the CP sac en papier, (red clogs were much, much cuter with my black sundress and Marni necklace) and went on my way. My sister took the top picture at the courtyard entrance to the Jardin du Palais Royal on the black and white pillars. And very soon after it was taken, I took the bottom picture as I sat down in the jardin to put my Chucks back on. As far as clogs go it's Dansko - 1, Hasbeens - 0. Owwy badowwey, Swedish shoes!
This is the lovely Parisian living room of my lovely sister-in-law in the 7th arrondisement where they so graciously host us every trip to Paris. But since we mostly come in the summertime, she and her family are most always at their country house and we stay alone in Marie Antoinette splendor.
One of the only things I wanted to do during my day in Paris was visit the 40 year YSL retrospective exhibit at the Petit Palais. When my sister and I arrived there was an hour and half wait to get in! When you only have 1 day in Paris, the last thing you want to do it spend and hour in half in line! We were about to walk away from the Palais as I was telling my sister about the book from the exhibit I'd gotten a month or so ago, online. She said maybe we could just go the giftstore...
I asked the guard if there was one and he told us very sheepishly that, yes, there was a gift shop and we could go to the side door. Turns out the "side door" lands you smack dab in front of the ticket counter. We were in.
We felt a small pang of guilt for all those line-waiting nice people outside and for the first half of our visit we thought we were going to be thrown out at any minute. To add to this paranoia, I had to take pictures which was strictly interdit aussi. Mais bon. We leisurely visited the extensive show and lapped up every last evening dress, 1965 baboushka wedding dress (center) and "smoking" tuxedo.
Parisian street art. Two differen't places. Two different ladies.
Had to stop by Merci again - this time for un petit cafe.
Walking down Rue du Jour, I took this picture of Agnes B and I love the way it looks like St. Eustache is coming out of the top of the store's head. Even when the clothing in the shop is rather boring as it was this time, I'll always love Agnes B. Established in 1975 with a snap cardigan, and she built into a global company with cinema, art, music too. She's pretty punk rock to me.
No good clothes at the boutique this time, but I took a picture of this movie poster with Charlotte Gainsbourg which was hanging at the shop. I couldn't have known that later that night I'd see Charlotte at our restaurant of choice. Even though I know she's painfully shy. I spoke with her. I told her mon mari worked with her a couple of months ago on the video of the song she did with Beck and that we have a great photo of the two of them from that day, and asked her if she'd like a print. She was lovely and gracious. She said, yes, if I would send her a print she'd appreciate it and her address was 40, Rue du Cler (that's not the address she gave me) but I was struck by the fact she gave me her home address so freely as most celebs are so paranoid. Must be different in Paris...

8 comments:

Natalie (NJ in L.A.) said...

I love Swedish Hasbeens! I need to figure out how to really break my clogs in. That YSL show is amazing - I visited it when I was at the De Young in SF awhile back. Have FUN!

Jennifer said...

I love this post.

Elsie Lau said...

Love love love your day in paris! And how wonderful to have chatted with Mlle Gainsbourg!

jeana sohn said...

the trip sounds amazing.

ps: i want to see your marni necklace! as soon as i read that, i was scrolling down to see if there was any picture of it. ;D nerd.

Megan Taylor said...

Paris!

YSL! Sisters! Charlotte! Agnes B! You had quite the Parisian holiday! I couldn't remember if I saw that YSL show in SF until I saw that cocoon-esque wedding dress from your pictures - now that's something you don't forget.

You look super happy, and sun-kissed and FRENCH! Very French! xoxo

k said...

It sounds like you are having an amazing trip!

I hear you on the Hasbeens. Why make clogs so cute that kill? I got a pair in a black strappy sandal late last year and I've been trying to break them in all summer. Leather oil and a shoe stretcher are helping.

Unknown said...

Fantastic! You met Charlotte, I met Jacqueline Morabito...these holidays were really good, weren't they!

bises

http://bodieandfou.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-meeting-with-jacqueline-morabito.html

Heather Taylor said...

LOVE that you saw YSL with your sis and I saw YSL with my sis (in SF). Also, clogs. As we say: Jelly. xo